Is Gluten really to avoid at all cost?

Buy Lab Tests Online

Gianluca

Gluten-Free Diet: Imprudent Dietary Advice for the General Population?:

GLUTEN-FREE DIETING HAS GAINED CONSIDERABLE popularity in the general population.1, 2, 3 Between 2004 and 2011 the market for gluten-free products grew at a compound annual growth rate of 28%, with annual sales expected to reach approximately $2.6 billion in 2012.2 As of April 20, 2012, Amazon.com listed 4,765 entries for the topic “gluten-free.” A Google search at the same time for “gluten-free diet” produced more than 4.2 million results. The number-one reason consumers cite for buying gluten-free products is that they are perceived to be healthier than their gluten-containing counterparts.3 Endorsements from celebrities have undoubtedly contributed to the increased awareness of possible health benefits of gluten avoidance, including weight loss.4, 5

Despite the health claims for gluten-free eating, there is no published experimental evidence to support such claims for the general population. In fact, there are data to suggest that gluten itself may provide some health benefits, and that gluten avoidance may not be justified for otherwise healthy individuals. Our primary purpose is to briefly describe this evidence and raise awareness of the potential pitfalls of adopting a gluten-free diet in persons without diagnosed gluten-related disorders.

Jump to SectionIndications for a Gluten-Free DietGluten-Free Diet and Weight Loss: Where is the Evidence?Wheat and Gastrointestinal HealthGluten and HealthConclusionsReferencesBiography
Indications for a Gluten-Free Diet
Gluten is a protein composite consisting of gliadins and glutenins, and is found in foods processed from wheat and related grains such as barley and rye. There is a spectrum of gluten-related disorders, including celiac disease, gluten sensitivity, and wheat allergy.1, 2 Wheat allergy is an adverse immunologic reaction specific to wheat proteins.1, 2 Prevalence of documented wheat allergy is quite low, estimated at only about 0.1% of individuals in Westernized countries.1 Because wheat allergy can be treated with wheat avoidance, a wheat-free diet may be more permissive than a strict gluten-free diet.1 Gluten sensitivity (also referred to as nonceliac gluten intolerance), is characterized by a heightened immunologic reaction to gluten in genetically susceptible people.6Clinical diagnosis is generally based on responses to a gluten-free diet.1 Common symptoms of gluten sensitivity, such as fatigue and headaches, and gastrointestinal distress, including gas, bloating, and diarrhea, frequently improve with the adoption of a gluten-free diet. The inherent subjectivity in diagnosis and resolution of these symptoms likely contributes to the popularity of gluten-free diets.
Celiac disease is a complex autoimmune enteropathy that affects the small bowel after ingestion of gluten-containing grains, including wheat, rye, and barley, in genetically susceptible people.7 Estimated prevalence of celiac disease is approximately 1%.8, 9 The disease can manifest itself in a range of clinical presentations, including malabsorption syndrome and a spectrum of symptoms affecting multiple target organs.10 A strict gluten-free diet is an established remedy for individuals with celiac disease because it has been shown to lower incidence of related diseases, such as gastrointestinal cancers.7, 8, 9, 11 Lifelong adherence to a strict gluten-free diet, devoid of proteins from wheat, rye, barley, and related cereals, remains the gold standard of treatment in celiac disease.7, 8, 9
There are some data to suggest that following a gluten-free diet may ameliorate gastrointestinal and/or systemic symptoms in individuals with systemic lupus erythematosus, dermatitis herpetiformis, irritable bowel syndrome, rheumatoid arthritis, type 1 diabetes, thyroiditis, and psoriasis.12, 13 Gluten-free diets have also been used by patients with autism spectrum disorders (ASD).2, 14 However, there are no definitive data to support the use of gluten-free diets in ASD,15 and the American Academy of Pediatrics does not support the use of gluten-free diets as a primary treatment for individuals with ASD.16
Apart from the demonstrated effectiveness of a gluten-free diet for treating the spectrum of gluten-related disorders and the conditions mentioned above, evidence-based research supporting the merits of a gluten-free diet as a healthier option for the general population is lacking.
Jump to SectionIndications for a Gluten-Free DietGluten-Free Diet and Weight Loss: Where is the Evidence?Wheat and Gastrointestinal HealthGluten and HealthConclusionsReferencesBiography
Gluten-Free Diet and Weight Loss: Where is the Evidence?
Despite the growing popularity of gluten-free diets and celebrity endorsements of the merits of a gluten-free diet for weight loss,4, 5 there are no published reports showing that a gluten-free diet produces weight loss in persons without celiac disease or gluten sensitivity. There are a number of studies of patients with celiac disease that reported weight change as an outcome measure following a gluten-free diet.17, 18, 19 Strict adherence to a gluten-free diet in celiac disease generally improves body mass index (BMI) status.17 However, normalization of BMI while following a gluten-free diet is not always observed. In a study of 369 adults with celiac disease who followed a gluten-free diet for an average of 2.8 years, 22 of 81 (27%) initially overweight or obese patients gained weight.17 In a study of 371 adults with celiac disease who followed a gluten-free diet for 2 years, 55 of 67 (82%) initially overweight patients gained weight.18 Among 149 children with celiac disease who followed a gluten-free diet for at least 12 months, the percentage of overweight children almost doubled (11% to 21%).19
These reports indicate that for a significant percentage of overweight or obese patients with celiac disease, body weight may actually increase on a gluten-free diet. This may be due in part to enhanced absorption of nutrients associated with healing of intestinal lining while following a gluten-free diet. Whether weight gain would be observed in persons without celiac disease or gluten sensitivity remains to be established. In this regard it is important to note that gluten-free does not necessarily mean low-energy, and some gluten-free products actually have a greater energy value than corresponding gluten-containing foods.3 Furthermore, a gluten-free diet may be deficient in whole grains and fiber,3 both of which have been shown to be inversely associated with BMI.20
Wheat and Gastrointestinal Health
Naturally occurring fructan-type resistant starches in wheat, such as oligofructose and inulin, are beneficial for creating a healthy composition of gut bacteria,21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 and these diet–microbe interactions in the colon may protect the gut from some cancers, inflammatory conditions, and cardiovascular disease.27, 28 Wheat is the most widely consumed grain in the United States, and contributes approximately 70% to 78% of the oligofructose and inulin in typical North American diets.29, 30 Wheat-derived nondigestible carbohydrates have been reported to decrease postprandial glycemia and insulinemia, reduce fasting triglycerides, and reduce body weight.21 Oligofructose has been shown to improve immune status, lipid metabolism, and vitamin and mineral absorption.25 By removing the major source (wheat) of fructan-type resistant starches in American diets, strict adherence to a gluten-free diet could have adverse consequences.
In fact, recent evidence suggests that a gluten-free diet may lead to reductions in beneficial gut bacteria.31 Ten healthy subjects followed a gluten-free diet for 1 month by replacing gluten-containing foods with equivalent products certified as gluten-free.31 The gluten-free diet significantly reduced a number of beneficial bacteria in fecal samples of the subjects, including Bifidobacterium, Lactobacillus, Clostridium lituseburense, and Faecalibacterium prausnitzii, and increased levels of pathogenic Enterobacteriaceae and Escherichia coli.
Immunostimulatory properties of fecal samples were also reduced after 1 month following a gluten-free diet. For example, the gluten-free diet reduced production of the potent neutrophil chemoattractant tumor necrosis-α. Three-day food diaries (2 weekdays and 1 weekend day) at the beginning and end of the 1-month diet period indicated that total energy and macronutrient intake were not changed, with the exception of a lower polysaccharide intake while following the gluten-free diet. A reduction in polysaccharide intake on a gluten-free diet is not unexpected.32 Thus, a gluten-free diet produced potentially adverse changes in gut health as a result of reduced intake of naturally occurring fructans in wheat products that have a prebiotic action.
By contrast, increasing whole-grain wheat intake has been reported to increase beneficial gut bacteria.33 In a double-blind, randomized, crossover study consisting of two 3-week dietary periods with a 2-week washout in between, 31 healthy women and men added to their diet either 48 g/day 100% whole-grain wheat breakfast cereal or 48 g/day wheat-bran cereal. Fecal samples were collected before and after the 3-week dietary period. After 3 weeks following the diet supplemented with 48 g/day 100% whole-grain wheat breakfast cereal, numbers of fecal Bifidobacterium were increased by approximately 10%. Addition of wheat bran to subjects' habitual diets had no effect. Both 100% whole-grain wheat and wheat-bran conditions increased the numbers of lactobacilli in fecal samples, but the 7.4% increase after the 100% whole-grain wheat condition was significantly greater than the 5.0% increase observed after the wheat–bran condition. The results indicate a prebiotic effect of whole-grain wheat breakfast cereal. It has been proposed that one of the mechanisms by which whole-grain foods confer health benefits is via their beneficial effect on gut bacteria.21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 These findings may help explain the well-established inverse relationship between whole-grain food intake and risk of cardiovascular diseases.25, 26
Gluten and Health
Gluten itself may actually be beneficial to the diets of individuals with dyslipidemia without celiac disease or gluten sensitivity. In 24 adults with hyperlipdemia, increased consumption of wheat gluten for 2 weeks on a weight-maintenance diet reduced serum triglycerides by 13%.34 In this randomized crossover study, subjects consumed diets that differed with respect to gluten, wheat fiber, and bran content. The higher gluten content of the diet was achieved by having subjects consume bread that contained 53.1% protein. This increased gluten intake by 60 g/day, which accounted for 10% of total energy. High levels of wheat fiber and bran did not reduce triglyceride levels when gluten levels were the same in each diet. Only under the high-gluten condition, regardless of wheat fiber content, were triglyceride levels reduced. Therefore, it appeared that the reduction in serum triglyceride levels was attributable to the gluten itself rather than the wheat fiber.
In a randomized crossover study of men and women with hyperlipidemia,35 subjects consumed either a control diet or a diet in which 11% of the carbohydrate in the control diet was replaced with vegetable protein (as wheat gluten) for 1 month. This resulted in a 78 g/day increase in gluten intake. Total energy, dietary fiber, and fat intake were the same during each diet period. Increasing daily gluten intake for 1 month reduced serum triglycerides by 19.2%, uric acid by 12.7%, and creatinine by 2.5%. In addition, low-density lipoprotein oxidation was reduced by 10.6% in the high-gluten diet. The authors concluded that high intake of vegetable protein in the form of added wheat gluten could have beneficial effects on triglyceride levels and oxidized low-density lipoprotein similar to those of monounsaturated fat and soy protein.
In addition to the potential benefits of gluten for improving blood lipid levels,34, 35 gluten may play a role in blood pressure control. For example, wheat gliadin hydrolysates have been reported to inhibit angiotensin I-converting enzyme (ACE).36 Thewissen and colleagues36 extracted gliadin from commercial wheat gluten and demonstrated that several of the resulting peptide fractions from the gliadin hydrolysates exhibited ACE-inhibitory activity. Because ACE converts angiotensin I into angiotensin II (vasoconstrictor) and degrades bradykinin (vasodilator), inhibition of ACE could facilitate reduction in blood pressure. Whole-grain consumption has been shown to reduce blood pressure,37 with wheat itself having a demonstrated effect.38 Although the dietary fiber component of whole grains is thought to play a role,39 it is also possible that gluten, via one of its constituent proteins gliadin, may contribute to the blood-pressure–lowering effect of whole grains.36
Gluten may also boost the immune system in humans. This may be due in part to the very high glutamine content of gluten (∼40% of total amino acids). Glutamine supplementation, for example, has been reported to reduce incidence of infectious complications in patients following surgery.40 In a small study of nine healthy volunteers, five subjects received 3 g/day wheat gluten hydrolysate for 6 days (41). After 6 days, natural killer cell activity was increased significantly (by approximately 6% to 57%; P<0.05) in all five subjects who received the wheat gluten hydrolysate. No change was observed in the four control subjects.41 There were no reported side effects. An increase in natural killer cell activity could be expected to enhance immune monitoring against tumor development and viral infections.42 Epidemiologic evidence supports a protective role for whole-grain consumption to reduce cancer risk,43 with specific effects attributable to wheat.44, 45
Conclusions
Gluten-free diets are clearly indicated for patients with celiac disease or for persons with gluten sensitivity, and may be beneficial for individuals with other chronic autoimmune disease conditions such as psoriasis, rheumatoid arthritis, and type 1 diabetes.12, 13 With the substantial growth in the gluten-free products market,2 a greater number of food choices are now available to individuals for whom gluten avoidance is essential. There are many gluten-free grains available to help consumers obtain the benefits of whole grains and overcome some of the nutritional deficiencies (eg, inadequate intakes of thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, folate, and iron) reported to be associated with gluten-free diets.9, 46 A gluten-free diet can be a well-balanced diet if care is taken in choosing whole-grain products, including more legumes, and selecting foods with lower energy density. This does not imply that a gluten-free diet, per se, is a healthier diet.
Despite numerous health claims and the exploding popularity of gluten-free products, there are no published data to support a weight loss claim for a gluten-free diet.3 Results of several studies of patients with celiac disease suggest that a gluten-free diet may actually worsen BMI status in some overweight and obese individuals. Gluten-free baked goods can be high in fat and total energy.9 Moreover, whole-grain intake is inversely associated with BMI, and wheat is the most widely consumed grain in America. Thus, going gluten-free for purposes of weight loss may have unintended consequences. Randomized-control trials are necessary to establish the effect of a gluten-free diet on weight loss in overweight or obese individuals for whom a gluten-free diet is not medically indicated.
Gluten-rich grains, especially wheat, may have health benefits attributable to naturally occurring fructan-type resistant starches as well as gluten itself. By creating a healthy composition of colon bacteria, whole-grain wheat products may protect the gut from some cancers, inflammatory conditions, and cardiovascular disease. Gluten, and one of its component proteins gliadin, may contribute to blood pressure control and immune function. Because wheat is the main source of gluten in the American diet,29, 30 these studies may help explain the consistent findings of health benefits of whole-grain consumption.25, 26, 43, 44

There is no evidence to suggest that following a gluten-free diet has any significant benefits in the general population. Indeed, there is some evidence to suggest that a gluten-free diet may adversely affect gut health in those without celiac disease or gluten sensitivity.31 Additional research is needed to clarify the health effects of gluten, and potential consequences of avoiding gluten-containing grains.

https://jandonline.org/article/S221...vtG09cbAJ0tFALBUEmIXd9U#.XBpiVhVGabo.facebook

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Vvs1

I eat gluten free most of the time.

It's really the fillers and additives that make me stay away from traditional grocery items. Soybean oil, folic acid, etc.

If you look at the ingredients on grocery store shelves, it's almost always the same ingredients.

Vince

Super Moderator
It's been a long time since I've eaten any grains. It's getting close to 10 years now. For me the benefits are unreal, when my doctor told me to go low carb and give up grains. I thought he was a looney. I knew I had nothing to lose so I followed his advice. I have no problem now controlling my weight and the best part of it, is my lipid panel, it's been awesome. I'm so thankful that I follow that looney doctor's advice.

jdthoosier

I eat gluten free due to my dietitian putting me on the diet due to a positive genetic marker test. I regularly eat grains such as oats, millet, and seeds such as quinoa. My lipids are so good that the Defy NP wanted to know if I taking statins or fish oils.

davidrn

I went 100% gluten free for about 5 years for my RA, worked and I was able to resume a regular diet without any new RA flares. I did reintroduce some grains, for bread I occasionally eat sour dough bread, the only issue I found is not all sour dough bread is equal, many brands add yeast to the sour dough starter for more size, I stay away from those. I eat most of my grains in a traditional manner taught by the Weston A Price association. For beans and oatmeal, I soak them for 24 hours with a small amount of buckwheat flour to reduce lectins.

jdthoosier

David -

I soak beans 24 hours also. I slow cook a big pot of oatmeal which lasts me a week. I buy sprouted quinoa, nuts, and seeds. There is a local artisan GF bread maker that makes a sourdough bread using mainly millet and sorghum flour. Obviously not up to a real sourdough bread but I'm happy with it. I avoid all commercial GF products because they are typically high sugar and made out of rice flour. For a treat, I just eat some 88% dark chocolate. I really, REALLY miss my beer - but I'm content with some of the local artisan ciders. On my deathbed, I'm going to request a beer and a whole wheat artisan pizza.

Rozwell

For me not eating gluten seems to reduce my allergies to other things. If I also exclude dairy it gets even better. Gluten itself doesn't on the surface cause me issues but I start sneezing and being allergic to things.

Real sourdough tends to have less gluten issues for people. Something about the way it is made will cause less reactions.

XXY47

I actually quite by accident found out I was celiac and to a greater extent through necessity had to subscribe to the AIP diet. Years ago I had a flue shot and it gave me a very bad reaction, so I was tested for allergies and it was found I was allergic to eggs. So they kept looking and I was also allergic to dairy. So I thought nothing of it until one day I couldn't see my feet and my stomach looked like I was birthing. I went into the doctor and she sent me to emergency, seems my small intestine has swollen to large that it had constricted any passage of waste and food. She had wondered why my completion appears yellow, like I had been poisoned. And thus poof as it turns out I had eaten something gluten based prior and it had reacted in my small intestine. To this day I struggle with weight loss because frankly the AIP diet doesn't have a lot of foods on it. And I find all those fancy gluten free foods to contain things like soy and other chemicals which really don't give me a lot of confidence they are safe. I steer away from soy and anything derived from it, just had too many issues with mood swings after consuming soy or rice.

davidrn

I actually quite by accident found out I was celiac and to a greater extent through necessity had to subscribe to the AIP diet. Years ago I had a flue shot and it gave me a very bad reaction, so I was tested for allergies and it was found I was allergic to eggs. So they kept looking and I was also allergic to dairy. So I thought nothing of it until one day I couldn't see my feet and my stomach looked like I was birthing. I went into the doctor and she sent me to emergency, seems my small intestine has swollen to large that it had constricted any passage of waste and food. She had wondered why my completion appears yellow, like I had been poisoned. And thus poof as it turns out I had eaten something gluten based prior and it had reacted in my small intestine. To this day I struggle with weight loss because frankly the AIP diet doesn't have a lot of foods on it. And I find all those fancy gluten free foods to contain things like soy and other chemicals which really don't give me a lot of confidence they are safe. I steer away from soy and anything derived from it, just had too many issues with mood swings after consuming soy or rice.
Sorry to hear about all these health issues you are facing, it sounds like you need more calories, but your current diet limits this. Have you considered a Paleo diet? I have an autoimmune disease, and started my trip towards healthier eating by going Paleo for a few years, then slowly increasing the food choices by eating some grains, but prepared in the Weston A Price method of using historically healthier food preparation. Oatmeal, beans, all are not Paleo, but by different techniques, they can be made healthier. GF products are something I experimented with, but found they were costly, tasted wrong, and had ingredients I didn't want, especially soy.

XXY47

Sorry to hear about all these health issues you are facing, it sounds like you need more calories, but your current diet limits this. Have you considered a Paleo diet? I have an autoimmune disease, and started my trip towards healthier eating by going Paleo for a few years, then slowly increasing the food choices by eating some grains, but prepared in the Weston A Price method of using historically healthier food preparation. Oatmeal, beans, all are not Paleo, but by different techniques, they can be made healthier. GF products are something I experimented with, but found they were costly, tasted wrong, and had ingredients I didn't want, especially soy.

The AIP diet is Paleo, but does not include seeds or nuts. I find I have similar reactions to seeds and nuts as I have with gluten and have had issues where I had to be "flushed" at the hospital as a result of seeds and nuts.

davidrn

Because of my auto immune disease, inflammation is the critical factor in everything I feel. As I understand it, Omega 3's are anti inflammatory, and Omega 6's are pro inflammatory. Nuts and seeds are healthy, in very small portions, but for those of us, (you included) we need to limit our consumption of Omega 6 foods. Have you ever gotten hooked up with a Functional MD, a Naturopath, or a nutrition consultant? Looking for healthy, nutrient dense foods is what you need, but actually doing this is difficult.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me