Hypogonadism (Low Testosterone) or Depression - How to Differentiate

Buy Lab Tests Online

Susabar34

There are many common symptoms in depression and hypogonadism, especially those subjective, my question is how do physicians know when hypogonadism causes depression, and when depression causes hypogonadal symptoms?

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Gman86

There are many common symptoms in depression and hypogonadism, esspecially those subjective, my question is how do physicans know when hypogonadism causes depression, and when depression causes hypogonadal symptoms?

As far as I know, depression can’t directly cause low testosterone. Consequences of depression can, like stress, staying in and not getting any physical activity, maybe eating poorly due to the depression, etc.

But to answer your question, the only two ways to tell if your depression is caused by low testosterone, is to get a blood test and see if you in fact have low testosterone, and/ or go over the symptoms of low testosterone, and see how many you have. I would go more by bloodwork though. Just because hypothyroidism can mimic hypogonadism pretty closely, so you don’t want to make a mistake and start treating for hypogonadsim when it could be another gland/ organ system that’s the real issue.

But again, to answer your original question, there isn’t any specific symptoms that you would just see in hypogonadal depression, compared to say major depressive disorder, or any other types of depression.

Last edited:

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Simple.

If you have low T, the good doctors put you on TRT and/or thyroid meds first. They wait for 8 weeks and if that does not make your depression better, they may prescribe a SSRI or send you to a counselor.

I was depressed for two months recently and I did not realize it until I stopped being ashamed to talk about it. My total T is 900 ng/dL. Once I realized it, I became clear of what my unmet needs were and told people in my life about it. Now everyone is aware of my decision to do certain things that make me happy even if some of my loved ones deem them extreme. Clarity in what you want and what your intentions are is important so that others around you don't have to read your mind.

Gman86

Simple.

If you have low T, the good doctors put you on TRT first. They wait for 8 weeks and if that does not make your depression better, they may prescribe a SSRI or send you to a counselor.

I was depressed for two months recently and I did not realize it until I stopped being ashamed to talk about it. My total T is 900 ng/dL. Once I realized it, I became clear of what my unmet needs were and told people in my life about it. Now everyone is aware of my decision to do certain things that make me happy even if some of my loved ones deem them extreme. Clarity in what you want and what your intentions are is important so that others around you don't have to read your mind.

So if you don’t mind me asking Nelson, are you still depressed, or has it gotten better? And if it has, did you have to go on an SSRI, or was changing some things in your personal life enough to do the trick? That’s assuming your less depressed now, obviously. If those questions were to personal, it’s okay not to answer them. I’m just curious. Thanks.

Susabar34

Simple.

If you have low T, the good doctors put you on TRT first. They wait for 8 weeks and if that does not make your depression better, they may prescribe a SSRI or send you to a counselor.

Thanks for reply. Why exactly 8 weeks? I thought, that would be much longer. My current level of total T is 400ng/dl, so I am on the border of hypogonadism.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Thanks for reply. Why exactly 8 weeks? I thought, that would be much longer. My current level of total T is 400ng/dl, so I am on the border of hypogonadism.

It takes a while for testosterone and other hormones to adjust through steady state. Most clinics check your hormones 6-8 weeks after starting TRT.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
So if you don’t mind me asking Nelson, are you still depressed, or has it gotten better? And if it has, did you have to go on an SSRI, or was changing some things in your personal life enough to do the trick? That’s assuming your less depressed now, obviously. If those questions were to personal, it’s okay not to answer them. I’m just curious. Thanks.

No problem. Happy to answer.

Even after attaining what we consider to be good hormone values, I really believe that many men on ExcelMale (newbies or old members) go crazy focusing on one hormone at a time when dealing with depression or low libido. Why? Most of us do not want to look at non-hormone factors that may require for us to admit to things that are not good in our lives. It's easier to blame estradiol or SHBG or cortisol etc.

I consider myself a mature and strong person with a high awareness of things that I may be denying to myself. But awareness is not enough to take action. Some of us may be bored sexually, with our jobs, with our mates, or other things that used to bring joy to our lives. Some of us are also blaming others for our low mood, or recycle old hurts in our heads. Many of us are taking care of others and have no time to "indulge" in meeting our own needs. Well, when you don't want to face change, life hits you with depression so that you take action or go downhill.

I am not depressed anymore since I was lucky to wake up to what I had to change and also to the fact that I have to be clear and vocal about what makes me happy. People around me have to adjust or move on. The "strong man syndrome" some of us carry may not serve us all the time.

I once read "What screws us up most in life is the picture in our head of how it is supposed to be"

"Sometimes when things are falling apart they may actually be falling into place".

So true "
Well, when you don't want to face change, life hits you with depression so that you take action or go downhill."

Otherwise one should learn do change his attitude towards what you can´t change.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me