How will DHEA supplementation effect me?

Buy Lab Tests Online

KenLowT

Hi guys,
I wanted to know how you guys have reacted to DHEA supplementation. My DHEA came out really low and the doc at Defy wants me to supplement it. I understand it's supposed to help me to be more relaxed, have better sleep, and possibly have dreams at night which I really don't have now. I've seen the causes of low DHEA and it does make sense to supplement it. I've battled anxiety over the years, but TRT has really helped me feel more relaxed and confident. I have been supplementing with NOW's Super Cortisol Support. The only stress that has lingered with me over the years is this low libido thing. I figure the DHEA can help me relax more so that maybe I can have a libido even though like I said I've been feeling great. From what I remember the doc said that as a 42 year old man I should at least be in the 300's, I'm not even close right now. My lab is below:

DHEA: 45.4 <102.6-416.3>

The doctor recommended the Vitamin Shoppe brand, 50mg every night. I was thinking of looking on Amazon and finding the DHEA with the best reviews. What are your thoughts?

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor
M

MarkM

A lot of people do very well on DHEA and some do not. It seems to convert to E2 in some men and give some acne.

I started supplementing with it in May because my DHEA-s levels were similar to yours at 64. I am taking 25 mg at night in the form of a sublingual. My labs in July showed my DHEA-s was now 334. I had read about the conversion of DHEA to E2, acne etc....... prior to taking it but figured if I got those side effects I would just stop. I have not experienced any side effects, no acne, and I believe it has made me sleep better.

That is my personal experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
To add to marks great post, you should start with much less than 50mg which is way too much. 5-10mg to judge tolerance to it. If it's going to cause any real problems it will be Estrogen. Find yourself an oral micronized capsule, trasndermal, or subligual version. Cheap tablets from ChinaMart should be avoided.

Vince

Super Moderator
I supplemented with DHEA after breakfast for over three and a half years and never felt anything, I just did it to keep my levels in a good range. Then after my labs in June I stopped using it, and thought I would try it at night. What a difference it made in my sleep for the first time in many years I'm sleeping good. Why did they wait so long to try it at night.

KenLowT

A lot of people do very well on DHEA and some do not. It seems to convert to E2 in some men and give some acne.

I started supplementing with it in May because my DHEA-s levels were similar to yours at 64. I am taking 25 mg at night in the form of a sublingual. My labs in July showed my DHEA-s was now 334. I had read about the conversion of DHEA to E2, acne etc....... prior to taking it but figured if I got those side effects I would just stop. I have not experienced any side effects, no acne, and I believe it has made me sleep better.

That is my personal experience.

That sounds good to me. I do have a high E2, but I'm getting an AI for that so hopefully it'll keep this in control as well.

nobody can predict your response to it dhea affects everybody differently
I would advise starting on very low dose to avoid side effects (5-10mg daily)

M

MarkM

nobody can predict your response to it dhea affects everybody differently
I would advise starting on very low dose to avoid side effects (5-10mg daily)

True, you have to be cautious with these hormones. Just because some hormones can be sold OTC doesn't mean they can't be potent.

True, you have to be cautious with these hormones. Just because some hormones can be sold OTC doesn't mean they can't be potent.
can't agree more! imo they dhea and pregnenolone shouldn't be sold OTC they are powerful substances that should be prescribed by doctor only!

Nashtide

I started 25mg of DHEA at the same time I started TRT so I can't really help you except to say that my DHEA levels are a little over the range and I've had no ill effects as far as I can tell.

KenLowT

Has anybody had the side effect of losing their hair? That's the one the petrifies me. My hair is nice and thick and I'd like to keep it that way.

M

MarkM

If you are predisposed to MPB (Male Pattern Baldness) it might speed up that process, but it does not sound like you are predisposed to MPB with a complete thick head full of hair. At your age i think it would have already raised it's ugly head by now. DHEA can increase testosterone levels and therefore increase DHT. I have also read that low DHEA levels can cause hair loss too. We already know you have low DHEA.

KenLowT

If you are predisposed to MPB (Male Pattern Baldness) it might speed up that process, but it does not sound like you are predisposed to MPB with a complete thick head full of hair. At your age i think it would have already raised it's ugly head by now. DHEA can increase testosterone levels and therefore increase DHT. I have also read that low DHEA levels can cause hair loss too. We already know you have low DHEA.
Very low DHEA. I think the side effect I could probably get is maybe moodiness and anxiety due to the increase in estrogen. However, I can battle that with my AI until I get my body fat down. I'm about to order some.

M

MarkM

That AI you will be taking might take care of any increase in E2. You might not get anxiety. I have always been a "hard charger" but I have felt more calm than I can remember in a long time.

M

MarkM

Has anybody ever had success with these DHEA brands I'm currently considering:

ZHOU DHEA
Natrol DHEA

My wife and I have tried the ZHOU DHEA and it worked fine. I am currently using Douglas Labs DHEA 25 mg Micronized. It is a sublingual which I like. We have also used the Pure Encapsulations DHEA but it is more expensive but works.

Jarrow Formulas has a 50 mg DHEA product, which is the strength I think you were wanting, that is pretty good and it is about $8 - $9 for 90 capsules.

KenLowT

My wife and I have tried the ZHOU DHEA and it worked fine. I am currently using Douglas Labs DHEA 25 mg Micronized. It is a sublingual which I like. We have also used the Pure Encapsulations DHEA but it is more expensive but works.

Jarrow Formulas has a 50 mg DHEA product, which is the strength I think you were wanting, that is pretty good and it is about $8 - $9 for 90 capsules.
I think I might go with the Douglas Labs DHEA you bought. It seems like it's working well for you at 25 mg. Everybody seems to think that 50mg is too much and that I should start off slow. If your numbers jumped up to the 300's with only 25 mg then perhaps mine will too. The ZHOU brand I want to buy only comes in the 50 mg dosage.

mooseman109

The dr at Defy also asked me to start DHEA, my labs showed 103 on 71-375 scale. I went about 3 months and my E2 went from 15 to 32 and anxiety came alive again after being gone for 5 years. I realize that my E2 number was not that high, but for me i was showing symptoms. If i had any positive results from it i would comsider an AI and keep it. But i could not see any benefits, i was told to look for the same omes as you.
Just my experience.

M

MarkM

I think I might go with the Douglas Labs DHEA you bought. It seems like it's working well for you at 25 mg. Everybody seems to think that 50mg is too much and that I should start off slow. If your numbers jumped up to the 300's with only 25 mg then perhaps mine will too. The ZHOU brand I want to buy only comes in the 50 mg dosage.
My wife just corrected me on the DHEA we took. We did take the ZHOU 50 mg for about 6 weeks before taking the Douglas Labs 25 mg we are on now for about 11 weeks.

KenLowT

My wife just corrected me on the DHEA we took. We did take the ZHOU 50 mg for about 6 weeks before taking the Douglas Labs 25 mg we are on now for about 11 weeks.
When you pulled your numbers did you use the ZHOU or the one you're currently using?

KenLowT

The dr at Defy also asked me to start DHEA, my labs showed 103 on 71-375 scale. I went about 3 months and my E2 went from 15 to 32 and anxiety came alive again after being gone for 5 years. I realize that my E2 number was not that high, but for me i was showing symptoms. If i had any positive results from it i would comsider an AI and keep it. But i could not see any benefits, i was told to look for the same omes as you.
Just my experience.

Yes, I know my estrogen is going to increase with dosage change, adding HCG and DHEA, but I think that's why the doc ordered an AI for me. If I wasn't getting an AI I would be very leery about using the DHEA.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me