Effect of alpha glycerylphosphorylcholine (Alpha-GPC) on memory and other health issues

Buy Lab Tests Online

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Has anyone used α-Glycerophosphocholine (GPC) ? It gives me focus. I use this product

Here is a study that also shows increased GH and liver fat oxidation.

Glycerophosphocholine enhances growth hormone secretion and fat oxidation in young adults

by Kawamura, Takashi, M.S.|Okubo, Takeshi, Ph.D.|Sato, Koji, Ph.D.|Fujita, Satoshi, Ph.D.|Goto, Kazushige, Ph.D.|Hamaoka, Takafumi, M.D., Ph.D.|Iemitsu, Motoyuki, Ph.D
Nutrition, 2012, Volume 28, Issue 11

Abstract

Objective α-Glycerophosphocholine (GPC) is a putative acetylcholine precursor that potentially increases growth hormone secretion through the action of acetylcholine-stimulated catecholamine. The aim of this study was to investigate acute physiologic responses to a single intake of GPC.

Methods Eight healthy male subjects (25 ± 1 y old) ingested GPC 1000 mg or a placebo in a double-blind randomized crossover study. Fasting blood samples were obtained before the administration of GPC (baseline) and 60 and 120 min after administration. All subjects repeated the identical protocol using the placebo.

Results Plasma free choline levels significantly increased at 60 and 120 min after GPC administration. Plasma growth hormone secretion was increased significantly 60 min after taking GPC, whereas no significant change was observed with the placebo. In addition, the serum free fatty acid was increased 120 min after GPC ingestion, but no changes were seen with the placebo. Moreover, serum acetoacetate and 3-hydroxybutyrate levels, which are indices of hepatic fat oxidation, were increased at 120 min after taking GPC, whereas the placebo had no effect.

Conclusion These findings suggest that a single dose of GPC increases growth hormone secretion and hepatic fat oxidation, with concomitant increases in choline levels, in young adults.

Here is another study measuring strength:

The effect of 6 days of alpha glycerylphosphorylcholine on isometric strength

David BellarEmail authorView ORCID ID profile, Nina R. LeBlanc and Brian Campbell

Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition201512:42

Ergogenic aides are widely used by fitness enthusiasts and athletes to increase performance. Alpha glycerylphosphorylcholine (A-GPC) has demonstrated some initial promise in changing explosive performance. The purpose of the present investigation was to determine if 6 days of supplementation with A-GPC would augment isometric force production compared to a placebo. Thirteen college-aged males (Means ± SD; Age: 21.9 ± 2.2 years, Height: 180.3 ± 7.7 cm, Weight: 87.6 ± 15.6 kg; VO2 max: 40.08 ± 7.23 ml O2*Kg(-1)*min(-1), Body Fat: 17.5 ± 4.6%) gave written informed consent to participate in the study. The study was a double blind, placebo controlled, cross-over design. The participants reported to the lab for an initial visit where they were familiarized with the isometric mid thigh pull in a custom squat cage on a force platform and upper body isometric test against a high frequency load cell, and baseline measurements were taken for both. The participant then consumed either 600 mg per day of A-GPC or placebo and at the end of 6 days performed isometric mid thigh pulls and an upper body isometric test. A one-week washout period was used before the participants' baseline was re-measured and crossed over to the other treatment. The A-GPC treatment resulted in significantly greater isometric mid thigh pull peak force change from baseline (t = 1.76, p = 0.044) compared with placebo (A-GPC: 98.8. ± 236.9 N vs Placebo: -39.0 ± 170.9 N). For the upper body test the A-GPC treatment trended towards greater change from baseline force production (A-GPC: 50.9 ± 67.2 N Placebo: -14.9 ± 114.9 N) but failed to obtain statistical significance (t = 1.16, p = 0.127). A-GPC is effective at increasing lower body force production after 6 days of supplementation. Sport performance coaches can consider adding A-GPC to the diet of speed and power athletes to enhance muscle.

Here is another study looking at cognitive function.

Cognitive improvement in mild to moderate Alzheimer's dementia after treatment with the acetylcholine precursor choline alfoscerate: A multicenter, double-blind, randomized...

by De Jesus Moreno Moreno, Maria
Clinical Therapeutics, 2003, Volume 25, Issue 1

Background: Parallel with the development of hypotheses regarding cholinergic involvement in geriatric memory dysfunction, the first attempts to treat patients with Alzheimer's disease (AD) involved the cholinergic-precursor loading approach. Despite encouraging early results, well-controlled clinical trials did not confirm a clinical utility of cholinergic precursors such as choline and lecithin (phosphatidylcholine) in AD. Objective: This study assessed the efficacy and tolerability of the cholinergic precursor choline alfoscerate (CA) in the treatment of cognitive impairment due to mild to moderate AD. Methods: In this multicenter, double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial, patients affected by mild to moderate dementia of the Alzheimer type were treated with CA (400-mg capsules) or placebo capsules, 3 times daily, for 180 days. Efficacy outcome measures that were assessed at the beginning of the investigation and after 90 and 180 days of treatment included scores of the Alzheimer's Disease Assessment Scale-Cognitive Subscale (ADAS-Cog), the Mini-Mental State Examination (TM) (MMSE), the Global Deterioration Scale (GDS), the Alzheimer's Disease Assessment Scale-Behavioral Subscale (ADAS-Behav), all items of the Alzheimer's Disease Assessment Scale (ADAS-Total), and the Clinical Global Impression (CGI) scale. The Global Improvement Scale (GIS) score was assessed after 90 and 180 days of treatment.

Results: A total of 261 patients (132 in the CA group, 129 in the placebo
group) were enrolled in the study. The mean (SD) age in the CA group was 72.2
(7.5) years (range, 60-80 years), and in the placebo group it was 71.7 (7.4) years
(range, 60-80 years). The CA group comprised 105 women and 27 men; the
placebo group, 94 women and 35 men. The mean decrease in ADAS-Cog score
in patients treated with CA was 2.42 points after 90 days of treatment and 3.20
points at the end of the study (day 180) (P < 0.001 vs baseline for both), whereas
in patients receiving placebo the mean increase in ADAS-Cog score was 0.36
point <1 after 90 days of treatment and 2.90 points after 180 days of treatment
(P < 0.001 vs baseline). In the CA group, all other assessed parameters (MMSE,
GDS, ADAS-Behav, ADAS-Total, and CGI) consistently improved after 90 and 180
days versus baseline, whereas in the placebo group they remained unchanged or
worsened. Statistically significant differences were observed between treatments
after 90 and 180 days in ADAS-Cog, MMSE, GDS, ADAS-Total, and CGI scores
and after 180 days of treatment in ADAS-Behav and GIS scores.

Conclusion: The results of this study suggest the clinical usefulness and tolerability
of CA in the treatment of the cognitive symptoms of dementia disorders of the
Alzheimer type. (Clin Ther. 2003;25:178-193)

Has Anyone Used Alpha-GPC ?

Top 17 Scientific Health Benefits of Choline (CDP-Choline, Alpha-GPC) - Selfhacked

Evaluation of the effects of two doses of alpha glycerylphosphorylcholine on physical and psychomotor performance

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

sfjohn

Nelson or anyone using this, how much do you take? 3000mg for 30 days a few times a year? Or a lesser amount that is ongoing? Do you take it at bedtime, or 2 times a day, or with meals? Thanks so much! John in SF P.S. Thanks for the link to Amazon!

Last edited:
I´ve been using it for sometimes and it also gives me a better memory and focus. However Choline & Inositol is cheaper than GPC so I´m considering going back to those. As I understand GPC is stronger or at least absorves better.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Nelson or anyone using this, how much do you take? 3000mg for 30 days a few times a year? Or a lesser amount that is ongoing? Do you take it at bedtime, or 2 times a day, or with meals? Thanks so much! John in SF P.S. Thanks for the link to Amazon!
I take two capsules with my morning coffee.

Chopsuey

I have a bunch of alpha GPC as well as other nootropics but the only thing that concerns me is that so many in the nootropic community report feeling depressed with continued use of alpha gpc. While trying to dial in my trt not sure if it's a good idea to try this at the same time(as won't be able to tell if mood is negatively effected by trt adjustment or alpha gpc?)

Nelson, have you noticed any negative side effects on mood? I wonder if this is another one of those internet things where a small minority reports all these side effects? From all the studies I've read it seemed to enhance cognition/mood.

Last edited:

rugbyhit

i ran 2 months of GPC (900mg/day) and didn't find any discernible change in my memory/mood. Similar to Chopsuey's comments above, I'm trying to establish the TRT effects and decided to drop the GPC in order to judge the unadulterated effects of TRT vs other potential influences.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
I have a bunch of alpha GPC as well as other nootropics but the only thing that concerns me is that so many in the nootropic community report feeling depressed with continued use of alpha gpc. While trying to dial in my trt not sure if it's a good idea to try this at the same time(as won't be able to tell if mood is negatively effected by trt adjustment or alpha gpc?)

Nelson, have you noticed any negative side effects on mood? I wonder if this is another one of those internet things where a small minority reports all these side effects? From all the studies I've read it seemed to enhance cognition/mood.

No effect on mood. I just notice a strong focus on finishing anything I start.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com

I have taken one of these every morning for three weeks, and I definitely feel better about my cognitive processing and mood. My mom with Alzheimer’s has also seen great changes in energy and mood.

https://a.co/d/6xahf70

Choline is an essential nutrient that supports lipid metabolism, liver health, and brain function[2][3]. Here are some of the benefits of choline on mood and cognitive function:

- **Memory and brain function**: Choline is required to produce acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter that plays an important role in regulating memory, mood, and intelligence[4]. Large observational studies link choline intake and blood levels to improved brain function, including better memory and processing[4]. Supplementing with 1,000 mg per day led to improved short- and long-term verbal memory in adults aged 50–85 who had poor memory[4]. In a 6-month study, giving phosphatidylcholine to people with early Alzheimer’s disease modestly improved memory in one small subgroup[4]. However, other studies on healthy people and those with dementia found no effects on memory[4].

- **Mood**: Choline has been found to impact mood and emotional regulation[5]. In a study of the Hordaland Health Study, higher dietary choline intake was associated with lower anxiety and depression scores[5].

- **Cognitive dysfunction**: Perinatal choline supplementation may lessen cognitive dysfunction in Down syndrome and reduce cognitive decline in related disorders such as Alzheimer's disease[1].

While choline supplements may help reduce the risk of fatty liver disease, muscle damage, and other health conditions, most people don't need to worry about the amount of choline they get each day[3]. However, certain groups of people, such as vegans, vegetarians, and pregnant women, may benefit from choline supplements to ensure they're getting enough[3].

Sources
[1] Choline, Neurological Development and Brain Function: A Systematic Review Focusing on the First 1000 Days - PMC - NCBI Choline, Neurological Development and Brain Function: A Systematic Review Focusing on the First 1000 Days
[2] Choline - Consumer - NIH Office of Dietary Supplements Office of Dietary Supplements - Choline
[3] Choline Supplement: Overview & Benefits - Cleveland Clinic Choline Supplement: Overview & Benefits
[4] What Is Choline? An Essential Nutrient With Many Benefits - Healthline What Is Choline? An Essential Nutrient With Many Benefits
[5] Choline in anxiety and depression: the Hordaland Health Study - Oxford Academic Choline in anxiety and depression: the Hordaland Health Study
[6] Brain Benefits of Choline - Memory Morsels Brain Benefits of Choline

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
What is the difference between choline and Citicoline?

Choline and citicoline are both substances that play critical roles in the body, especially for brain function. However, they are not the same thing, and each has unique characteristics and functions.

1. Choline: This is an essential nutrient that the body needs for several functions. Choline is crucial for creating the neurotransmitter acetylcholine, which is essential for memory and mood. It's also needed for the structure of cell membranes, as it's a component of phospholipids such as phosphatidylcholine. Moreover, choline plays a role in the process of methylation, which is a vital metabolic process that happens in every cell of your body, and involves the transfer of four atoms—one carbon atom and three hydrogen atoms—from one substance to another.
    Choline can be obtained from a variety of dietary sources, including eggs, beef liver, chicken, fish, dairy products, and certain vegetables and nuts. However, some people may not get enough choline from their diet and may benefit from supplementation.
  2. Citicoline (CDP-Choline): This is a compound that your body makes naturally. It can also be taken as a dietary supplement. Citicoline is a form of choline that has been bound with cytidine, which can be converted into uridine in the body. Once ingested, citicoline is broken down into choline and cytidine/uridine, which can cross the blood-brain barrier.
    After crossing the blood-brain barrier, choline and cytidine are used to produce acetylcholine and phosphatidylcholine, thus supporting brain health. They also contribute to increased synthesis of neurotransmitters and improved brain energy metabolism. Because of these effects, citicoline supplements are often used to enhance cognitive function and treat or prevent memory impairments.
    In summary, while both choline and citicoline are related and have similar functions, citicoline is a prodrug for choline and cytidine with potential additional benefits due to its metabolite, uridine. It's generally thought to have more potent effects on brain health and cognitive function due to its ability to cross the blood-brain barrier and its role in neuroprotection and neurorepair.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me