β-alanine ingestion does not affect muscle taurine or clinical blood parameters

Buy Lab Tests Online

madman

Super Moderator
Abstract

Purpose To investigate the effects of chronic beta-alanine (BA) supplementation on muscle taurine content, blood clinical markers and sensory side-effects.

Methods Twenty-five healthy male participants (age 27 ± 4 years, height 1.75 ± 0.09 m, body mass 78.9 ± 11.7 kg) were supplemented with 6.4 g day−1 of sustained-release BA (N = 16; CarnoSyn™, NAI, USA) or placebo (PL; N = 9; maltodextrin) for 24 weeks. Resting muscle biopsies of the m. vastus lateralis were taken at 0, 12 and 24 weeks and analysed for taurine content (BA, N = 12; PL, N = 6) using high-performance liquid chromatography. Resting venous blood samples were taken every 4 weeks and analysed for markers of renal, hepatic and muscle function (BA, N = 15; PL, N = 8; aspartate transaminase; alanine aminotransferase; alkaline phosphatase; lactate dehydrogenase; albumin; globulin; creatinine; estimated glomerular filtration rate and creatine kinase).

Results There was a significant main effect of group (p = 0.04) on muscle taurine, with overall lower values in PL, although there was no main effect of time or interaction effect (both p > 0.05) and no differences between specific timepoints (week 0, BA: 33.67 ± 8.18 mmol kg−1 dm, PL: 27.75 ± 4.86 mmol kg−1 dm; week 12, BA: 35.93 ± 8.79 mmol kg−1 dm, PL: 27.67 ± 4.75 mmol kg−1 dm; week 24, BA: 35.42 ± 6.16 mmol kg−1 dm, PL: 31.99 ± 5.60 mmol kg−1 dm). There was no effect of treatment, time or any interaction effects on any blood marker (all p > 0.05) and no self-reported side-effects in these participants throughout the study.

Conclusions The current study showed that 24 weeks of BA supplementation at 6.4 g day−1 did not significantly affect muscle taurine content, clinical markers of renal, hepatic and muscle function, nor did it result in chronic sensory side-effects, in healthy individuals. Since athletes are likely to engage in chronic supplementation, these data provide important evidence to suggest that supplementation with BA at these doses for up to 24 weeks is safe for healthy individuals.

The current study showed that 24 weeks of BA supplementation at 6.4 g day−1 did not negatively impact muscle taurine content, clinical markers of renal, hepatic or muscle function, nor did it result in any chronic sensory side-effects. Since athletes are likely to engage in prolonged periods of supplementation, these data provide important evidence to suggest that, if they are healthy individuals, they can safely supplement with BA at these high doses for up to 24 weeks. Further work should elucidate the tolerable upper intake level that poses no risk for adverse effects to the general population.

Attachments

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Vince

Super Moderator
I do love that flush. The wonder what the results would be if they use older men, especially men in their sixties.

madman

Super Moderator
Wow.
I tingle like a son of a gun at 3.2g in my pre-workout.
Can't imagine 6.4g lol.
Thanks for posting!

Same here.

I have been taking beta-alanine for years 6 grams daily (3g pre/3g post-workout) and 3g twice daily on non-workout days.....definitely improves training as I used to only use creatine monohydrate and once I stacked it with beta-alanine I noticed increased performance in reps/strength and time until fatigue.

I would say out of all the supplemental training aids creatine + beta-alanine is the best!

Still get the tingle in my face everytime I take it.

Will Brink

That's important study in that anti aging/life extension types will not take BA due to fear of taurine depletion, so take carnosine. I'm surprised there are not more studies specifcally looking at the impact of taurine.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me