L Carnitine and Thyroid function

Buy Lab Tests Online
My doctor has had me on L Carnitine for the past few weeks and I have gained 10 pounds and felt sluggish. I didn't make the potential connection until a moderator on a thyroid board said not to take L Carnitine if you are hypo and use it cautiously if normal, but it is good if hyperthyroid. Would love tosee if anyone has experience or thoughts on this potential link. The following abstract provides some insight

Effects of carnitine on thyroid hormone action.

AuthorsBenvenga S, et al. Show all Journal
Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2004 Nov;1033:158-67.

Affiliation
Abstract
By experiments on cells (neurons, hepatocytes, and fibroblasts) that are targets for thyroid hormones and a randomized clinical trial on iatrogenic hyperthyroidism, we validated the concept that L-carnitine is a peripheral antagonist of thyroid hormone action. In particular, L-carnitine inhibits both triiodothyronine (T3) and thyroxine (T4) entry into the cell nuclei. This is relevant because thyroid hormone action is mainly mediated by specific nuclear receptors. In the randomized trial, we showed that 2 and 4 grams per day of oral L-carnitine are capable of reversing hyperthyroid symptoms (and biochemical changes in the hyperthyroid direction) as well as preventing (or minimizing) the appearance of hyperthyroid symptoms (or biochemical changes in the hyperthyroid direction). It is noteworthy that some biochemical parameters (thyrotropin and urine hydroxyproline) were refractory to the L-carnitine inhibition of thyroid hormone action, while osteocalcin changed in the hyperthyroid direction, but with a beneficial end result on bone. A very recent clinical observation proved the usefulness of L-carnitine in the most serious form of hyperthyroidism: thyroid storm. Since hyperthyroidism impoverishes the tissue deposits of carnitine, there is a rationale for using L-carnitine at least in certain clinical settings.

PMID 15591013 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Vettester Chris

Super Moderator
Interesting ... Janie at STTM has talked about L-Carnitine and magnesium to help with hyperthyroidism, and autoimmune instances like Grave's, but I haven't read much about it being antagonistic towards hypothyroidism. I'll do a little digging on this ...

not sure what that means "uptake of hormones"? so it seems like since i am taking thryoid meds.. it would be ok to continue taking l carnitine? thanks!

Broosky,

in my personal experience l-carnitine definitely slows down my thyroid and or messes with the absorption of my meds. I've read that in a few places and when I was taking a lot of carnitine I'd always feel really tired. Read the articles, stopped and feel better.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me