Thyroid BW Question

Buy Lab Tests Online

eddydb

Thyroid results from latest BW. I've learned a lot about BW results over the last few months, but still a novice when it comes to thyroid.

Both these numbers in the normal range, but is that optimal? I was tested because I do have some symptoms that could be related to hypothyroidism.

TSH: 2.870 (0.450-4.5)
Triiodothyronine, Free, Serum: 2.7 (2.0-4.4)

Thanks!

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Vettester Chris

Super Moderator
Thyroid results from latest BW. I've learned a lot about BW results over the last few months, but still a novice when it comes to thyroid.

Both these numbers in the normal range, but is that optimal? I was tested because I do have some symptoms that could be related to hypothyroidism.

TSH: 2.870 (0.450-4.5)
Triiodothyronine, Free, Serum: 2.7 (2.0-4.4)

Thanks!

Eddy, thanks for posting the labs. On the reference ranges, 98% of the patients will usually fall somewhere within the posted serum ranges. Sadly, a good portion of the GP's will then determine the patient(s) to be "normal", when in fact many times they are anything BUT normal. Like testosterone serum, the range can be 250ng/dl to 1,000ng/dl, and to many doctors, 260, 570, 220, 675 .. these numbers ultimately equal the same result (minimal or no treatment).

The thyroid gets a little trickier, due to the fact that several labs need to be factored to get a general idea with where the thyroid sits. For a physician to make any true assessment, he/she will NEED ..

Free T3 (you have)
Free T4 (don't have)
Reverse T3 (don't have)
TSH (you have)
Antibodies - TgAb & TPO (don't have)

The two labs you have ... Free T3 & TSH ... Your Free T3 is at 29% of the reference range. What you would like to see is both Free T3 & Free T4 sitting somewhere in the 50% to 80% of reference range; both hopefully fairly close together in the respect of percentage. So we know your FT3 isn't optimal, but we need the other labs to see a clearer picture. The TSH will work on the feedback with both of these hormones, so even with lower FT3, your FT4 could be a bit higher, thus making the TSH lab by itself an unreliable marker.

The other variable is Reverse T3, which needs to be compared to FT3 when looking at the full profile. If FT3/RT3 ratios are low, then that's a marker for knowing other issues/conditions could be present, like cortisol & iron/ferritin imbalances. The rate of T4 converting to RT3 will increase when various conditions are present, and the conversion to FT3 will decrease ...

Sorry if any of this comes across confusing, but if you just take the basic talking points that I mentioned, you can research everything a 1,000 times over on the Net. If you can get the other labs that were mentioned, I'll gladly give you my .02 on them.

OMI100

Chris has it down pat.
A bit of research on your side will enable you to better understand what he has covered.
I would recommend spending some time here as a starting point:
http://www.tiredthyroid.com/
Then I would get her book. A lot of great researched data and info in simple English. Easy to read and understand.
Then stop by here for additional information:
http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/
Then get a copy of the STTM II book.
As Chris pointed out MOST DRs are old school and seemed to be taught that as long as one falls within the reference range all is good..... Not true. The challenge for someone with thyroid issues is then to find a good knowledgeable physician who understands the difference between being within range and being optimal.... That is like looking for a needle in a MOUNTAIN of hay.....

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me