Great video Q & A covering the latest research on Ketogenic (low carb) diets

Buy Lab Tests Online

hdrider

I've been on a low carb diet for a couple of years now to control high blood sugar. It not only improved blood sugar control, but a side effect was I lost all excess body fat without even trying. My lipid profile, although always very good, improved even more.

The Muscle Prof explains the science behind the diet from every angle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Jay

I tried the Keto recently to improve my blood sugar profile, however, it caused my cholesterol to jump way up. I love keto for when I prep for bodybuilding shows, but never realized it messed with my LDL.

hdrider

My numbers are:

Cholesterol, total. 188
HDL. 75
LDL. 101
Triglycerides. 58

My HDL increased significantly, while LDL and triglycerides stayed about the same.

i started out Ketogenic, but right now am probably just low carb, as I increased protein and added a little carb to try to improve gains on my lifts and lean body mass. I was having trouble making any gains. Although this may be due to low T. (I'm about to start TRT). According to the Muscle Prof in the video, you should be able to make muscle gains while Ketogenic, contrary to what other sources have said.

Vince

Super Moderator
I also follow a very low carb diet, here are my numbers

total cholesterol 146
LDL 73
HDL 67
trig. 59
non-hdl 79
I also have my particle numbers and size checked

Jay

Interesting vid Nelson. I also read that Whey protein can spike insulin a lot as well. One thing I did miss about no carbs is my workouts did stink and no pump. Timing carbs pre/post workout is key as insulin is very anabolic!

hdrider

I do question the statement that meat causes the same insulin release as pure sugar. In my case, I typically have a breakfast of 4 eggs fried in coconut oil, 4 strips of bacon, and coffee. If I check my blood sugar within an hour after eating, it is usually around 110. A breakfast of hash browns, whole wheat toast and two eggs would spike it into the 160's.

A dinner of Asian takeout heavy on rice can spike me into the 180's. A large grilled steak with grilled vegetables usually keeps me under 120.

Protein Can be converted to carbs, which is why the first video explains that in order to reach a ketogenic state, you must limit protein as well as carbs, and consume the majority of your food intake as fat.

i also have seen the weight loss result on myself. Weight loss was not even a goal when I started, and the weight just fell off. Lost 20 lbs without even trying, while eating as much as I wanted. I eat pretty much as much as I want, whenever I want, and my biggest problem is trying to gain weight. In fact my biggest concern with the low carb plan is whether it will adequately support muscle growth, since insulin does help with muscle development, according to many sources.

Before switching to low carb, I was trying to eat "healthy", as typically described in the popular press: cut down on red meat, less fat, more whole grains, and restrict calories. My blood sugar was getting worse, and I was hungry all the time, and still had a small spare tire at my waist, so I did a lot of reading, and I realized I might have been doing the exact opposite of what I should be. so I changed approaches and have been happy with the results.

Last edited:

Jay

Blood sugar and insulin are related but def different. I know for cut phase of bodybuilding shows I have done in the past, I always do a keto diet as it is great for dropping stubborn fat for sure, however, I always felt that for gaining muscle I really benefit from a lot of carbs and timing of them is just as important.

You might benefit from a drug called Metfromin as you might be insulin resistant. This should help keep your sugar under control and allow you eat some carbs (always with reason)...I generally eat carbs that are low glycemic (fruits, Bulgar, beans, etc). Try making some FLAX PILAF or having some Ezikel Bread/Muffins. They taste great and will not spike your blood sugar like other simple carbs.

Also are you taking Test? If so, I know that it can make you more insulin sensitive...which is a great thing!

hdrider

I'm about to start on TRT, the first batch of meds should be arriving this week so we'll see what that does. Things have not been serious enough to take Metformin. I can eat carbs, I just need to be careful. I'm trying to get some in me just before and after lifting.

Last edited:

hdrider

Vince, I know there is a lot of interest around Metformin in the anti-aging community, and they are discovering other potential uses as well as its long time use in increasing insulin sensitivity. But I also follow some diabetes blogs, and there is also concern that Metformin may have bad as well as good effects. Here is an example of a post listing some concerns:

http://www.realdiabetestruth.com/tuberculosis-diabetes-metformin/

There seems to be broad consensus in the diabetes community that limiting carbs is the best first step to manage, and perhaps even prevent or reverse diabetes.

Vince

Super Moderator
Vince, I know there is a lot of interest around Metformin in the anti-aging community, and they are discovering other potential uses as well as its long time use in increasing insulin sensitivity. But I also follow some diabetes blogs, and there is also concern that Metformin may have bad as well as good effects. Here is an example of a post listing some concerns:

http://www.realdiabetestruth.com/tuberculosis-diabetes-metformin/

There seems to be broad consensus in the diabetes community that limiting carbs is the best first step to manage, and perhaps even prevent or reverse diabetes.

Interesting article, how true the whole article is I do not know. But personally I believe metformin is very beneficial, you must supplement your b vitamins and have your levels checked.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me