E2 Spike on HCG - Anastrozole Dose ?'s

Buy Lab Tests Online
I started HCG 3 weeks ago at 250IU 2x per week. My estrogen levels were holding steady at 20 prior to introducing the HCG. This has been the case since before starting TRT, through about 5 weeks on TRT, when the HCG was introduced. Within 3 weeks of beginning HCG, I literally put on 14 lbs of water weight.

A subsequent blood test confirmed that my estrogen level rose from 20 to 49 pg/mL (Roche ECLIA method | range 7.6 - 42.6 normal). Granted, it's not the sensitive test, but regardless, it rose by 150%. I received a script for Anastrozole and have some questions.

My current protocol is:
130 Test-Cyp 1 x per week
HCG 250IU 2 x per week (days 6 & 7 after test shot)
Anastrozole .5mg 1x per week (1 day after test shot)

With that background stated, I have a few questions.

1) Given my protocol, when is the optimal time to take my dose of Anastrozole?

2) Is the Anastrozole dose sufficient given my E level and significant water retention tendency?

3) Would .25mg 2 or 3 x per week be better? If so, what's the best way to time it relative to the HCG and Test injections?

I'm looking to on-board with Defy to get their help with this, and to get the sensitive E testing. In the mean time, I'm trying to stay ahead of this to manage the water retention and prevent anything worse from happening.

Thought I should also mention, my 1st Anastrozole dose was taken the afternoon 2 days after my test shot. I woke up the next morning feeling like Superman, full of energy and a bit euphoric. Not sure where that came from, but man it was something else!

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor
What about the water weight? I gained 14 lbs from 12/17 until 012/31. It was pretty bad. I know it was water weight as my diet and exercise remained constant and I was able to clear most of it with diuretics before taking the anastrozole. My 1st 5 weeks on TRT didn't produce anything of the sort, until the HCG was added. Weird, no?

I'm am currently working on getting the sensitive testing lined up through Defy. Unfortunately, its not offered by my clinic. Just trying to manage this until I can get the tests completed.

Gene Devine

Super Moderator
Agree with Nelson, I have seen first hand on labs where the standard default E2 lab seriously over estimated E2 serum levels compared to the "Sensitive" assay designed form men and others with very low E2 levels.

While .5 mg a week is not a large dose (and take it 24 hours after your testosterone injection) it could still tank E2 if you are not elevated.

You need E2 Sensitive lab before determining if you really need an AI.

Besides water retention are you exhibiting any other symptom of elevated E2?

Agree with Nelson, I have seen first hand on labs where the standard default E2 lab seriously over estimated E2 serum levels compared to the "Sensitive" assay designed form men and others with very low E2 levels.

While .5 mg a week is not a large dose (and take it 24 hours after your testosterone injection) it could still tank E2 if you are not elevated.

You need E2 Sensitive lab before determining if you really need an AI.

Besides water retention are you exhibiting any other symptom of elevated E2?

I felt bloated, craved chocolate, and was crying while watching Bridgette Jones Diary!

On a serious note, nipples were starting to itch a bit and felt "heavy" (not chest pressure) in the breast area. Not sure if it was due to the extra pressure from all the water or not. I've only taken one .5mg dose so far, so hopefully that wont do any damage. I'll wait until I get the sensitive test completed & continue to manage it with diuretics before any further dosing of Anastrozole.

One more question if you don't mind. Would it help to inject HCG in more frequent, lower doses? I'm doing 250IU on each of days 6 & 7 right now. How might this be better dosed if so?

What about the water weight? I gained 14 lbs from 12/17 until 012/31. It was pretty bad. I know it was water weight as my diet and exercise remained constant and I was able to clear most of it with diuretics before taking the anastrozole. My 1st 5 weeks on TRT didn't produce anything of the sort, until the HCG was added. Weird, no?

I'm am currently working on getting the sensitive testing lined up through Defy. Unfortunately, its not offered by my clinic. Just trying to manage this until I can get the tests completed.

Discounted labs has the sensitive e2 test for $60. ;)

looks like its $40 now (i paid 59)

Last edited:
I would, respectfully, disagree with the other more learned experts here. You're having a clear, and bothersome to you, side effect of high Estradiol. I concur you need the sensitive test, yes indeed. But the water weight and such, I think that that supercedes any number on a test. If taking an AI though, I'd only take .25mg 24hrs post injection. that's low enough to see if you benefit from it yet no so much that you'll swing too far the opposite way.
Normally I'd concur that absent the symptoms, you may not need an AI, but, all that water weight, that'd bother the hell out of me, too.

Gene Devine

Super Moderator

These symptoms are consistent with elevated E2.

HCG can induce aromatase synthesis so this is something you should know.

It also increases endogenous testosterone in the Secondary man so you could have elevated your total testosterone serum levels even more with the addition of HCG as well.

Get the Sensitive assay as soon as possible.

These symptoms are consistent with elevated E2.

HCG can induce aromatase synthesis so this is something you should know.

It also increases endogenous testosterone in the Secondary man so you could have elevated your total testosterone serum levels even more with the addition of HCG as well.

Get the Sensitive assay as soon as possible.

I ended up continuing with my protocol, dosing .5mg Anastrozole the day after my T-cyp injection. The water retention was just too much for me.

Anyhow, the results from my Sensitive Estradiol (LabCorp) came back at 26 pg/mL. The draw was taken the morning of my weekly T shot (which was administered at noon). The water has come off and I've been feeling pretty darn good lately!

Follow up question: What is the "sweet spot" range for the Sensitive Estradiol test?

I ended up continuing with my protocol, dosing .5mg Anastrozole the day after my T-cyp injection. The water retention was just too much for me.

Anyhow, the results from my Sensitive Estradiol (LabCorp) came back at 26 pg/mL. The draw was taken the morning of my weekly T shot (which was administered at noon). The water has come off and I've been feeling pretty darn good lately!

Follow up question: What is the "sweet spot" range for the Sensitive Estradiol test?

From what I've read in several posts, the estradion sweet spot is in the twenties.

I actually ended up dividing my .5ml dose into three times a week. .15 M and W and .2 on F.

So far am getting morning wood every day with no anastrozole compared to injecting twice a week + .12mg of anastrozole a week

Am happy in that dept. :)

Gene Devine

Super Moderator

With this E2 lab your estrogen levels are damn near perfect!

JPB

HCG put my estrogen levels at 79, non sensitive test. And with corresponding symptoms and sexual dysfunction. My T levels, both total and free, actually went down. HCG can definitely have a paradoxical effect as a result of inducing aromatization and raising E levels too much.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me