5% compounded testosterone vs 10%

Buy Lab Tests Online

Jeff C

Brief history... was on Axiron, 3 pumps (90mg) daily. After applying a moisturizer, my levels were mid 700's. Because of the cost, haven't been on testosterone therapy since January. (Same high cost for Androgel, Testim, etc.) My doctor wants me back on T. Been looking at compounding pharmacies. My dr prefers topical over shots. Axiron was 2% - any negatives in using a 5% gel, 10% gel? I have searched the forums and haven't found the answers. (I'm kinda brain dead). Also, I'm going to apply to my inner thighs to limit any possible exposure to GF and pets. Thanks for all the help!

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor
Absorption with topical hormones can vary greatly between patients, and there is no identifiable factor (that I know of) to predict this. The rule of thumb among pharmacists is roughly 10% of the applied topical dosage actually absorbs transdermally (in a perfect situation). This means if you apply 100mg of testosterone you only absorb 10mg. Men need 7mg-10mg daily to achieve a good level, so if you are only applying 50mg or less of androgel you may not be getting enough testosterone (unless you are a high absorber- which is rarer). This is why it is important to use compounded testosterone gel/cream at 100mg (10%)/ML or 200mg (20%)/ML. Unfortunately there are also some men who do not even absorb much at all and therefore do not achieve sufficient levels even if they bathe in the cream. If you are going to start using a topical be prepared, and willing, to follow up more often (every 30-60 days) until your level is titrated.

HarryCat

This is an interesting topic. As you mention not much info is available. I was on 4 pumps Androgel 1.62% for a while and then when I switched doctors I switched to 20% compounded cream. The Androgel was applied to a much larger surface area, both shoulder areas, per the instructions. The cream I was applying to the scrotum, per doctor's instructions.
It's been a while but from what I remember I would say I felt better on the Androgel than on the cream, even though serum levels of T and FreeT were about the same. I would assume this would have to do with differences in the levels of E2 and DHT with the different application types.

Jeff C

Thank you Jasen. Waiting for the dr to change the prescription to 20% per recommendation from the pharmacy. Should I still apply a moisturizer?

HarryCat, have you thought about switching to your shoulders?

HarryCat

HarryCat, have you thought about switching to your shoulders?

I never tried the shoulders. I was buying it in a Topi-click dispenser, which would of been a little tricky to try on the shoulders, just because I couldn't see easily if it had been rubbed in enough.

I did try the thighs for a while, but I don't think it absorbed there as well.

I eventually switched to injections, which is what I am doing now.

BigJohn

Guys I've been on compounded cream 10% for over a year and my absorption has been great. I used to put it on my forearms but I switched to scrotum and my levels jumped up pretty dramatically. I went from the mid 500's to 750 and above.

Jeff, if you request a "lipoderm" based cream from the compounding pharmacy, which is a very common carrier, you should not require a moisturizer as lipoderm will not dry your skin like alcohol based gels.

OMI100

I use a 20%/ml at 1/2 ml a day and get upper range for my "T".
I apply under my arm with a "top-I click" applicator at 1/2 ml per day.
I get 30mls that last 2 months for around $60.00.
I highly recommend Empower Pharmacy. (http://www.empowerrxpharmacy.com/)
Do not think you will find a better price and their customer support is top notch.
I pay LESS than my old co-pay with a 10% compounded cream through my insurance pharmacy.
The paper work hassle from my DR was killing me and his office when I had to renew my script.
Empower is fast and cost effective and I don't have to deal with all the insurance crap now..

Jeff C

Jasen, applying the moisturizer was to help with absorption, is it still a good thing to do with a "lipoderm" based cream? (Thank you for your earlier response)

MFool

The point I do keep seeing here is that it's critical to apply the gel correctly. There are varying posts on "where" but in general I always have found when I use a TD that being attentive to how I spread it out and where is pretty darned important.

OMI100

NOPE NOT arm pit. The under skin from the elbow to the arm pit. Hold your arm up at a right angle like you are getting arrested:) That underside:) Works for me.... BTW I apply in the AM just after showering. I think the wife puts a bar of moisturizing soap in the shower, so that is what I use. I am also applying ONLY a 1/2 ml of 20% compounded cream that should be equal to 10%.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me